Sports Development Group (Sports Council)
The Sports Development Group were set up by the Town Council for all sports clubs to come together and share good ideas, best practice and how sports can be developed across the town. East Grinstead is fortunate in that it has a plethora of top quality varied sporting clubs. All clubs and groups are invited to attend the meeting (and if you are new or have not come across the group before, just come along and make yourself known, you are welcome to attend).
The group meet quarterly to receive an update on what is going on in groups, opportunities for grants, advice and how to access this. The meeting is currently chaired by a Town Councillor however this is a meeting facilitated by the Town Council and is there for the clubs and groups to get something out of this and voice any concerns or needs. The Town and District Council both send officers who can help signpost to bodies who may be able to help resolve a problem. Sometimes the groups can help each other out. This is networking, advice, help and camaraderie, but so much more.
- East Grinstead Sports Development and Facilities Plan for 2011
- Weir Wood Sailing Club presentation
- NGBs & Sport Governance in UK
- Presentation from Wave Leisure Trust
Sports Development Group
Our next East Grinstead Sports Council meeting will take place on Tuesday 18th April at 7.30pm. It will be held at the Volume 1 Climbing centre at Felbridge and will include a tour of this exciting and successful new sports venture.
1. Introductions and News – Bob Shelley
We’ll introduce ourselves to each other and I’ll bring you up to date with some of our local sports news.
2. Volume 1 Climbing Centre – Ben Read
Ben is a Founder and Director of Volume 1 and will give us an insight into the setting up of the centre, how it works and the success it is enjoying. He will also take us on a tour of the facility to bring to life the nature of this exciting new local sporting option.
3. Acorns Leisure and East Grinstead Sports Club – Mary Franck
We heard from Richard Leman at the last meeting of the heartening developments which have resulted following the August fire which destroyed the Acorns Club in Copthorne. Mary will give the latest picture of work in progress as Acorns establish themselves in their operating role at East Grinstead Sports Club.
4. Bike Week – Steve Ody
Town Councillor Steve will set out the aims and activities of the inaugural Bike Week, which will take place in the town in June.
5. Active Sussex Conference – Bob Shelley
I will brief you on some of the highlights from the this recent conference.
6. Coronation Event – Rex Whittaker
Rex will summarise what will take place in the town for this historic moment and describe the opportunity for sports clubs to get involved.
7. Club Updates
Our Club representatives will share with us their current situation, their successes and any challenges they face.
8. Any other Business
Your chance to raise, share or discuss anything you want with our group, of a sporting nature.
The groups that currently attend the meeting and a contact for each is shown below:
- Access All Sports – Caroline Halpin (07779 223421)
- Blackland Farm
- Blackland Farm – Guides – Martin Robinson
- CD Phoenix Netball – Jan Johnson
- Chartham Park Golf Club – Ben Knight
- Dunnings Squash and Racketball Club – Bob Shelley, Ian Smith, Michael Sparks
- East Grinstead Archery Club – Jake Wallace
- East Grinstead Athletics Club – Lester Medcalf, Eddie Vermeer
- East Grinstead Business Association – Stuart Scholes
- East Grinstead Boxing Club – Jacqui Russell
- East Grinstead Courier and Observer sports – Rob Warlow
- East Grinstead Cricket Club – Geoff Border
- East Grinstead Cycling Club – Paul Winkely
- East Grinstead Disability Access Group – Cliff Barrow
- East Grinstead Hockey Academy – Wendy Masters
- East Grinstead Hockey Club – Simon Longhurst and Richard Leman
- East Grinstead Lacrosse – Kevin Coster
- East Grinstead Lawn Bowls – Micky Bushell
- East Grinstead Meads Football Club – Steve Phillips and Neil Watts
- East Grinstead Netball League – Alison Armstrong
- East Grinstead Rugby Football Club – Rob Outen, Bob Russell (President), Gavin Gleave
- East Grinstead Sports Club – Richard Leman, Dave Brown
- East Grinstead Swimming Club – Mandy Brown and Mick Frost
- East Grinstead Target Shooting Club – John Chisholm
- East Grinstead Tennis and Squash Club – Gareth Williams
- East Grinstead Town Council – Julie Holden (Clerk) Cllr Rex Whittaker (Chair)
- East Grinstead Town Football Club – Richard Tramontin and Brian McCorquodale
- East Grinstead Triathlon Club – Dave Watmore
- East Grinstead Youth Sport
- Estcots School – Helen Farren
- Estcots Tennis Club
- Felbridge Badminton – David Eves
- Felbridge Cricket – Graham Radford
- Freedom Leisure – Chris Markham and Holly Sutcliffe
- Hindleap Warren
- Imberhorne School – Steve Hill
- Meridian FM – Jacqui Russell
- MMJ Table Tennis Club – Andy Hayes
- Mid Sussex Conservative Association – Ginny Heard
- Mid Sussex District Council – Elaine Clarke, Simon Hardy
- Mid Sussex Active – Lorraine Everard
- Sackville School – Suzanne Currie
- Saint Hill Blues – Steve Love
- Southdown Netball Club – Elaine Coxall, Tony Steer
- Springfit Gymnastics and Trampoline Club – Adam Reynolds and Annabel Farley
- Places for People Leisure – Chris Markham
- Tennis – James Over
- Turners Hill School – Ollie Burcombe
- Wallis Basketball – Kris Favor
- Weir Wood Sailing Club – Mike Summers, Simon Davis
- West Sussex County Council – Sue Carmichael