Sports Development Group (Sports Council)
The Sports Development Group were set up by the Town Council for all sports clubs to come together and share good ideas, best practice and how sports can be developed across the town. East Grinstead is fortunate in that it has a plethora of top quality varied sporting clubs. All clubs and groups are invited to attend the meeting (and if you are new or have not come across the group before, just come along and make yourself known, you are welcome to attend).
The group meet quarterly to receive an update on what is going on in groups, opportunities for grants, advice and how to access this. The meeting is currently chaired by a Town Councillor however this is a meeting facilitated by the Town Council and is there for the clubs and groups to get something out of this and voice any concerns or needs. The Town and District Council both send officers who can help signpost to bodies who may be able to help resolve a problem. Sometimes the groups can help each other out. This is networking, advice, help and camaraderie, but so much more.
- East Grinstead Sports Development and Facilities Plan for 2011
- Weir Wood Sailing Club presentation
- NGBs & Sport Governance in UK
- Presentation from Wave Leisure Trust
Sports Development Group
Our next quarterly East Grinstead Sports Council meeting will be on Wednesday 28th September at 7.30pm. We are kindly being hosted by Weir Wood Sailing Club.
The Clubhouse address for sat nav users is Weir Wood Sailing Club, Priory Road, Forest Row, RH18 5HT. That postcode covers many houses and farms once you are in the “no-name” lane off Priory Road, about half a mile up from Forest Row. There are plenty of signs to Weir Wood Sailing Club.
NB – It is important that you approach from Forest Row as Priory Road is closed for long term gas pipe road works if you try to approach from the Hindleap Warren side.
Introductions and News – Bob Shelley
We’ll introduce ourselves to each other and I’ll bring you up to date with some of our local sports news.
Afghan Resettlement Update
An update on how our local sports clubs are trying to provide opportunities to get involved with Afghan families’ wellbeing as they adapt to their new home.
Acorns Leisure & Gym Club Fire – Martin Reuter
Following the recent disastrous fire at the Acorns Club in Copthorne, a local squash and racketball club has come to the rescue for Acorn’s members. Their actions are an excellent example of mutual support amongst our sports community and we will hear why.
SportsAid – Alice Radford
SportsAid is the only national charity of its kind – helping young British sportsmen and women aspiring to be the country’s next Olympic, Paralympic, Commonwealth and World champions. It has supported many of our biggest sporting names in the early stages of their careers. Alice will explain how the charity undertakes this important work and her own role within it.
Matt Ratana Rugby Foundation
A representative from East Grinstead Rugby Club will update us on the great work that the Foundation is doing for community and school’s rugby.
Sports Volunteer Award
One of our regular participants at Sports Council has won an award from the local governing body for his work with one of our junior clubs. He will overcome his natural shyness and tell us how this came about.
Our Club representatives will share with us their current situation, their successes and any challenges they face.
Any other Business
Your chance to raise, share or discuss anything you want with our group, of a sporting nature.
The groups that currently attend the meeting and a contact for each is shown below:
- Access All Sports – Caroline Halpin (07779 223421)
- Blackland Farm
- Blackland Farm – Guides – Martin Robinson
- CD Phoenix Netball – Jan Johnson
- Chartham Park Golf Club – Ben Knight
- Dunnings Squash and Racketball Club – Bob Shelley, Ian Smith, Michael Sparks
- East Grinstead Archery Club – Jake Wallace
- East Grinstead Athletics Club – Lester Medcalf, Eddie Vermeer
- East Grinstead Business Association – Stuart Scholes
- East Grinstead Boxing Club – Jacqui Russell
- East Grinstead Courier and Observer sports – Rob Warlow
- East Grinstead Cricket Club – Geoff Border
- East Grinstead Cycling Club – Paul Winkely
- East Grinstead Disability Access Group – Cliff Barrow
- East Grinstead Hockey Academy – Wendy Masters
- East Grinstead Hockey Club – Simon Longhurst and Richard Leman
- East Grinstead Lacrosse – Kevin Coster
- East Grinstead Lawn Bowls – Micky Bushell
- East Grinstead Meads Football Club – Steve Phillips and Neil Watts
- East Grinstead Netball League – Alison Armstrong
- East Grinstead Rugby Football Club – Rob Outen, Bob Russell (President), Gavin Gleave
- East Grinstead Sports Club – Richard Leman, Dave Brown
- East Grinstead Swimming Club – Mandy Brown and Mick Frost
- East Grinstead Target Shooting Club – Malcom Brain
- East Grinstead Tennis and Squash Club – Gareth Williams
- East Grinstead Town Council – Julie Holden (Clerk) Cllr Rex Whittaker (Chair)
- East Grinstead Town Football Club – Richard Tramontin and Brian McCorquodale
- East Grinstead Triathlon Club – Dave Watmore
- East Grinstead Youth Sport
- Estcots School – Helen Farren
- Estcots Tennis Club
- Felbridge Badminton – David Eves
- Felbridge Cricket – Graham Radford
- Freedom Leisure – Chris Markham and Holly Sutcliffe
- Hindleap Warren
- Imberhorne School – Steve Hill
- Meridian FM – Jacqui Russell
- MMJ Table Tennis Club – Andy Hayes
- Mid Sussex Conservative Association – Ginny Heard
- Mid Sussex District Council – Elaine Clarke, Simon Hardy
- Mid Sussex Active – Lorraine Everard
- Sackville School – Suzanne Currie
- Saint Hill Blues – Steve Love
- Southdown Netball Club – Elaine Coxall, Tony Steer
- Springfit Gymnastics and Trampoline Club – Adam Reynolds and Annabel Farley
- Places for People Leisure – Chris Markham
- Tennis – James Over
- Turners Hill School – Ollie Burcombe
- Wallis Basketball – Kris Favor
- Weir Wood Sailing Club – Mike Summers, Simon Davis
- West Sussex County Council – Sue Carmichael