Dementia Friendly East Grinstead
The East Grinstead Dementia Action Alliance has registered with the National Alliance to help make East Grinstead aware of dementia and how to interact with and understand those who live with dementia better.
The Alliance has registered the following Objectives and Aims:
East Grinstead Dementia Action Alliance Overarching Aims
- Support the aims of the Alzheimer’s Society and the Dementia Action Alliance, and the National Dementia Declaration.
- Increase awareness and understanding of dementia in East Grinstead and surrounding villages.
- Assist in helping to make East Grinstead and the surrounding villages a dementia-friendly community.
- Provide information on local resources and support facilities.
- Encourage people with dementia and their family and carers to seek guidance and support.
- To establish a Dementia Alliance Steering Group to oversee and ensure continued development of action plans.
- Encourage organisations and businesses to become part of the East Grinstead dementia action alliance.
- Work with Other alliances, councils and organisations to share experience and good practice
The East Grinstead Dementia Action Alliance sets objectives each year and has fulfilled them since 2016. In October 2018 we proudly gained Dementia Friendly Town Status (which means that we are recognised as meeting the criteria to be called Dementia Friendly, and striving to make it town wide). We are always working to improve the coverage and knowledge in the town so it is often referred to as “working to becoming Dementia Friendly”.
If you see either of these images, the business has signed up to the East Grinstead Dementia Action Alliance and is part of the movement here in East Grinstead. The sticker will be updated every 2 years (so the next one will be 2020/2021).
The members and more information about the alliance can be found via the following link: https://www.dementiaaction.org.uk/local_alliances/19038_east_grinstead_dementia_action_alliance
The Alliance is chaired by East Grinstead Town Clerk Julie Holden (email@example.com) and the Secretary is Kate Bennett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Alliance is registered with the Dementia Action Alliance run by the Alzheimers Society and the alliance uses that page to register new businesses that sign up to DAA and their action plans.
Dementia affects 1:14 people over the age of 65. It is a growing condition in the UK and the more people who understand it and have an appreciation of the way that it can affect people, the more chance we can ensure that those who live with dementia are treated well and helped to live as well as possible. Dementia can be a long term condition and the progression can be slow or fast depending on the person. Dementia affects everyone differently. If you wish to become a dementia friend (a one hour session to make you aware of the affects of dementia) please contact the alliance or the Alzheimers Society https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/ who can advise you as to whether there are any sessions due to be run in the area. Sessions for businesses can also be run by arrangement.
If you would like your business to register with the East Grinstead DAA please contact Julie or Kate as shown above.