Sports Development Group (Sports Council)
The Sports Development Group were set up by the Town Council for all sports clubs to come together and share good ideas, best practice and how sports can be developed across the town. East Grinstead is fortunate in that it has a plethora of top quality varied sporting clubs. All clubs and groups are invited to attend the meeting (and if you are new or have not come across the group before, just come along and make yourself known, you are welcome to attend).
The group meet quarterly to receive an update on what is going on in groups, opportunities for grants, advice and how to access this. The meeting is currently chaired by a Town Councillor however this is a meeting facilitated by the Town Council and is there for the clubs and groups to get something out of this and voice any concerns or needs. The Town and District Council both send officers who can help signpost to bodies who may be able to help resolve a problem. Sometimes the groups can help each other out. This is networking, advice, help and camaraderie, but so much more.
- East Grinstead Sports Development and Facilities Plan for 2011
- Weir Wood Sailing Club presentation
- NGBs & Sport Governance in UK
- Presentation from Wave Leisure Trust
Sports Development Group
The next quarterly East Grinstead Sports Council meeting will be on Thursday 12th October at 7.30pm and will be held at East Grinstead Sports Club at Saint Hill.
1. Introductions and News – Bob Shelley
We’ll introduce ourselves to each other and I’ll bring you up to date with some of our local sports news.
2. Playing Pitches Maintenance Update – Bob Shelley
You may recall the disappointing reports on the state of some of our local playing pitches at the last meeting. Since then we have engaged very constructively with Mid Sussex District Council’s new Cabinet Member for Leisure and Social Services on a range of sport matters. One of the things we addressed was the pitches issue. I will summarise the changes in store that we all hope will positively impact on our pitches condition.
3. New Sports Council Participants
Three local clubs have indicated their keenness to join our sports community. Their representatives will briefly introduce themselves and their clubs.
4. Get to Know Our Clubs – East Grinstead Runners
In the latest of our series of presentations about our clubs, Jim Dorrington and Natalie Moon will outline the history and current aims and activities of this sociable running group.
5. Kidical Mass Bike Rally – Steve Ody
As we approach the second running of this event on 1st October, Steve will bring us up to date on the final preparations for the big day.
6. Golf Junior Development – Ben Knight
Ben, a well qualified local PGA golf coach, is going to explain his background and role in junior development. He will also illustrate this at the elite level by setting out the route to success taken by Joe Sullivan. Born and brought up locally, Joe is English Amateur Champion and now on the verge of USPGA Tour competition.
7. Social Media Update – Bob Shelley
I will report on our digital platform for local sport and some of the highlights.
8. Club Updates
Our Club representatives will share with us their current situation, their successes and any challenges they face.
9. Any other Business
Your chance to raise, share or discuss anything you want with our group, of a sporting nature.
The groups that currently attend the meeting and a contact for each is shown below:
- Access All Sports – Caroline Halpin (07779 223421)
- Blackland Farm
- Blackland Farm – Guides – Martin Robinson
- CD Phoenix Netball – Jan Johnson
- Chartham Park Golf Club – Ben Knight
- Dunnings Squash and Racketball Club – Bob Shelley, Ian Smith, Michael Sparks
- East Grinstead Archery Club – Jake Wallace
- East Grinstead Athletics Club – Lester Medcalf, Eddie Vermeer
- East Grinstead Business Association – Stuart Scholes
- East Grinstead Boxing Club – Jacqui Russell
- East Grinstead Courier and Observer sports – Rob Warlow
- East Grinstead Cricket Club – Geoff Border
- East Grinstead Cycling Club – Paul Winkely
- East Grinstead Disability Access Group – Cliff Barrow
- East Grinstead Hockey Academy – Wendy Masters
- East Grinstead Hockey Club – Simon Longhurst and Richard Leman
- East Grinstead Lacrosse – Kevin Coster
- East Grinstead Lawn Bowls – Micky Bushell
- East Grinstead Meads Football Club – Steve Phillips and Neil Watts
- East Grinstead Netball League – Alison Armstrong
- East Grinstead Rugby Football Club – Rob Outen, Bob Russell (President), Gavin Gleave
- East Grinstead Sports Club – Richard Leman, Dave Brown
- East Grinstead Swimming Club – Mandy Brown and Mick Frost
- East Grinstead Target Shooting Club – John Chisholm
- East Grinstead Tennis and Squash Club – Gareth Williams
- East Grinstead Town Council – Julie Holden (Clerk) Cllr Rex Whittaker (Chair)
- East Grinstead Town Football Club – Richard Tramontin and Brian McCorquodale
- East Grinstead Triathlon Club – Dave Watmore
- East Grinstead Youth Sport
- Estcots School – Helen Farren
- Estcots Tennis Club
- Felbridge Badminton – David Eves
- Felbridge Cricket – Graham Radford
- Freedom Leisure – Chris Markham and Holly Sutcliffe
- Hindleap Warren
- Imberhorne School – Steve Hill
- Meridian FM – Jacqui Russell
- MMJ Table Tennis Club – Andy Hayes
- Mid Sussex Conservative Association – Ginny Heard
- Mid Sussex District Council – Elaine Clarke, Simon Hardy
- Mid Sussex Active – Lorraine Everard
- Sackville School – Suzanne Currie
- Saint Hill Blues – Steve Love
- Southdown Netball Club – Elaine Coxall, Tony Steer
- Springfit Gymnastics and Trampoline Club – Adam Reynolds and Annabel Farley
- Places for People Leisure – Chris Markham
- Tennis – James Over
- Turners Hill School – Ollie Burcombe
- Wallis Basketball – Kris Favor
- Weir Wood Sailing Club – Mike Summers, Simon Davis
- West Sussex County Council – Sue Carmichael