Located in the South East of England at the meeting point of the four counties of East Sussex, Kent, Surrey and West Sussex.
The main building was a private house erected in 1769 for John Cranston, a lawyer of Scottish origin who had married a local heiress. It was enlarged in 1906 and is listed ‘of historic or architectural interest, grade II’. It is now the headquarters of the Town Council and the base for many organisations and activities.
The terrace of the building gives superb views of rolling countryside and there are two stones marking the fact that the Greenwich meridian runs across the estate, one inscribed and erected in 1977 for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee, and one in its natural state commemorating the millennium. You can thus stand with a foot in either hemisphere! The Millenium Stone was sourced from Moorhouse Sandpitts in nearby Westerham.
The grounds, which also include the Old Court House, adapted for community use, the police and ambulance stations and the town’s soccer club and rifle range, were acquired through the good offices of Mr Alfred Wagg, a local merchant banker and philanthropist, to be the town’s memorial for the second world war.
Near the top entrance one can glimpse Escots, the original house, which dates from the 15th century. Its name, meaning ‘cottage in the east’ can be traced back to 1285.